Friday, May 14, 2010

HENNA REVIEW

So I have been threatening to henna my hair for a while now but I didn't have the guts.... I have been highlighting my hair for about the last 10 years because I just felt like my hair was too dark for my facial features.... While I love the look of the blonde/copper highlights, I think that putting the bleach on top of my already relaxed hair is just asking for breaking and damage.... So I finally jumped in and did the henna...

Here's how it went down....

I mixed the henna with beer, coconut milk, olive and safflower oil, covered it and let it sit overnight... I washed with a clarifying shampoo, braided my hair and went to bed.

The next morning I mixed the indigo with black coffee and safflower oil.

Then I took the braids down and applied the henna to my air dried hair and covered with a plastic shower cap... I had intended to sit under the steamer but henna was all over my bathroom floor and sink so I spent the entire hour cleaning it up (I had to mop my bathroom floor.. this stuff goes every where).

I co-washed the henna out in the shower and let me tell you it was gritty and it took a 22.5 oz bottle of conditioner to get it all out.

After co-washing, I applied the henna and then sat under the steamer for about 20 minutes. Then I spent another hour in the shower and another 22.5 oz bottle of conditioner to get it out.

I was exhausted after all that so I literally slapped in the DC, put on a plastic bag and a satin scarf on it and then went straight to bed.


THE RESULTS:

hmmm.. well my hair is darker and it severaly toned down the highlights but it did not cover all of them.... I think that part of the problem was that I didn't order enough henna.... They said 100 grams for shoulder length hair and my hair is longer than shoulder length but I did not want to order 50.00 worth of this stuff when I didn't even know if I would like it. The good news is my hair does feel stronger...


What I liked:

Stronger hair

Nice color


What I didn't like:

Gritty and messy ( I wore clothes that I didn't care about but this stuff was falling all down my shirt, despite weraing gloves my nails currently have a green tinge which I find a little embarassing)

Took forever to get out of my hair


Will I do it again???

At least once more... I need to cover all of these highlights so I will do it at least once more.... After that I might consider doing it once or twice a year but I cannot see doing this every month or every other month like some other people do...I don't enjoy torture that much...LOL


Okay the pics.... Okay so I did not take good care of my roller set because I was really disappointed in the fact that all of the highlights weren't covered... So I will take better pics....


the henna




the look I wanted


the before



the after




UPDATE: So over the weekend I had time to really get used to the color and I feel in love.... I will do at least one more henna and then after that maybe I'll henna twice a year because it is very very very messy.... I took it down out of a bun just to take these pictures for you guys so be nice..







3 comments:

  1. Just a few tips from a henna-head (I do it monthly)
    -Mix only the henna and water to make a paste and let it sit overnight. Add other ingredients (honey, molasses, conditioner, oils,etc) the next day right before you apply the henna. These ingredients can interfere with dye release.
    -I always add oil and cone-free conditioner to mine to help it rinse out more easily. I use Organix Vanilla silk which not only gives it a pleasant smell but thickens the mix so it's less runny (no bathroom mess ;-).
    -You are totally on the right track with steaming. I ALWAYS steam my henna (I apply it, steam for an hour and then rinse it out). I find it increases dye transfer to my hair and I have NEVER had henna dry out my hair as many others do.
    -Try mermaid soaks to help get the grit out. I halfway fill my tub with water, get in, lie back and gently rub the henna particles out with my hair submerged. My hair is in 4 sections (apply and steam my henna this way) and I do each section underwater then secure it back up. When you are done the water will be dark and gritty and most of the debris will be out of your hair. I then empty the tub, turn on the shower and cowash as normal.
    Girl, I love me some henna! It puts a natural sheen on my dark brown hair, makes my grey look like red, sunkissed highlights, and strengthens and thickens my fine hair. Best protein treatment on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiney... thank you...I will definitely be adding these suggestions into my next henna... still can't see myself doing it monthly...LOL... but my hair tends to be protein sensitive so henna definitely has some benefits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiney,
    Don't you get water in your ears submerging your head under water like that. I've been wanting to try this henna for a long time, but I hear so many recipes, which one is best, I want stronger hair but not damaged,this is my fear. I'm not gray yet, but I understand this prevents or hide the gray. Any advise
    Thanks,

    Eliza

    ReplyDelete