Friday, June 11, 2010

Scritching/Scalp Massaging

You've heard me talk about scritching before and probably thought that I just couldn't spell...LOL... but it's not a typo... Scritching is the art of scratching the scalp with an instrument. Some of you are probably looking at the computer screen cross-eyed, for years we've been told not to scratch our scalp. I even had a stylist scold me for it and I thought well what the heck am I supposed to do when it itches. I'm not advocating digging into your scalp with your fingers or even the old fashion scalp scratching that involves vigorously combing the scalp with the teeth of a rattail comb. The problem with both of these methods is that they aren't really controlled motions and you end up breaking the skin of the scalp which can actually lead to infections and/or scalp sores.

Scritching/scalp massaging however, when done correctly are beneficial to the hair AND scalp because they promote scalp circulation which can prevent/treat dry scalp, dandruff and actually promote hair growth.

So I'm going to try my first pictorial (I get a kick out of saying that, pictorial...LOL) to show you all how to scritch/scalp massage

What you'll need:





a metal-less ponytail holder (yes all of mine are stretched out of shape...LOL.. I have a lot of hair)

You can use any of the following 2 items to scritch... I have seen some articles that advocate using a paddle brush with the ball tips but I would not recommend that because it will tangle the hair which will inevitably lead to breakage



a rattail comb






scalp massager (can be bought for about 2 bucks at any BSS)


Steps:

1st pull your hair back in a low ponytail... if your hair is ear length or shorter then brush it all back in one direction



If you're using a rattail comb, push the tail end of the comb through your hair in a zig-zag, back and forth motion





If using the scalp massager, just work in a circular motion until cover your entire head




I usually scritch for about 10 minutes a day 3-4 days a week

Happy Hair journey !!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this is wonderful, I've actually been doing this for a few months, I'm also doing this when I apply my growth serum, I use by Bee-mine, no sulfur. This really feels good to your scalp and doesn't damage, I've learned to do in circular motion and to not tangle my hair. This is another jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked everywhere trying to find a head massager. The problem was that it's called a cellulite massager in the UK, so I ordered one from EBay! Found one today in a pound shop! I tried your method and it was great, less tiring on the fingers! My scalp felt good and tingled. I'm going to try massaging every day by making it part of my nightly routine.

    Thanks for this great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.
    beard trimmer

    ReplyDelete